Death toll from Peshawar mosque bombing rises to 100

22

The death toll from the yesterday’s suicide bombing in a mosque in Peshawar’s Police Lines area rose to 100, while at least 221 were injured, several of them critically, a hospital spokesperson said on Tuesday.

About 100 bodies were taken into the facility, according to Mohammad Asim, the spokesperson for the Lady Reading Hospital Peshawar, while 53 individuals are still receiving treatment.

While all the injured people are being treated for their wounds, seven of them have been admitted to the intensive care unit (ICU), with the death toll feared to rise.

On Monday, a suicide bomber blew himself up inside a crowded mosque next to the Police Lines in Peshawar, in a highly fortified security compound, the latest in a string of attacks targeting police.

The last major incident of such a nature took place in Peshawar last year when a suicide blast inside a Shia mosque in Kocha Risaldar area claimed 63 lives.

Peshawar Division Commissioner Riaz Mehsud said that the rescue and search operation at the blast site has been completed, after almost 24 hours.

Earlier, Rescue 1122 spokesperson Bilal Faizi had said that rescue teams were removing the last part of the collapsed roof of the mosque. “But we are not hopeful of reaching any survivors.”

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.