Four people get 17 years in prison over serious assault


A man who led an attack which left the victim needing two six hour operations and 52 staples across his head has been jailed for over eight years.

Four people were sentenced to a total of 17 years between them in connection to the assault involving metal bars, brooms and a brick in Bedford last summer.A witness who filmed the incident and submitted it to police has been praised by detectives for the crucial role this evidence played in bringing Daniel Lazar, Ioan Nusica, Anna-Maria Spiridon and Raducu Marian Visan to justice.

The victim had initially attended an address in Bedford over a dispute about a mobile phone he had purchased.

The woman at this address then notified a number of friends who arrived at the scene, including Lazar, Nusica, Spiridon and Visan.Visan’s car and the victim’s van were involved in a collision when he arrived, while the group then smashed the victim’s windscreen.An altercation then ensued where the group attacked the victim with brooms and metal bars as he attempted to fend them off.Lazar then punched the victim in the face from behind and knocked him to ground.

The four continued their assault while the victim laid on the ground, with Lazar throwing a brick at the victim’s head from close range.The victim suffered several serious head and facial injuries.A witness attempted to call off the attack and calm the attackers down, while filming the incident on their phone.This footage was crucial to police securing convictions for the assault at court.

Lazar, 36, of Hurst Grove, Bedford, was found guilty of wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm (GBH) and violent disorder.On Thursday, 23 February at Luton Crown Court, he was handed an eight year jail term for the GBH and three years for the violent disorder, which will be served at the same time.

Nusica, 39, of Houghton Road, Bedford; Spiridon, 39, of St Augustine’s Road, Bedford, and Visan, 30, of Ombersley Road, Bedford, were all found guilty of wounding without intent to cause GBH, as well as violent disorder.All three were sentenced to three years in prison for both offences, which will be served at the same time.One more woman is still due to be sentenced over the incident.

PC Rebecca Crowley, from Bedfordshire Police CID, said: “This was a vicious attack which left the victim with serious injuries and needing extensive medical treatment.“Throughout the investigation the suspects continuously tried to cover up their actions and make up different events.“After a five-week trial, it’s great to see that our evidence helped the jury see through the lies and find them guilty.“Thanks in particular to the brave witness who filmed the incident and attempted to reason with the attackers. Their courage has played a crucial role in bringing these offenders to justice.”

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.